Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014: Small and Simple Things

Rather than have a list of New Year Resolutions with a million things I want to work on to change about my life, the last few years I've had themes I would like to work on.  Past themes have been 2012: Love Others, 2013: Trust in the Lord.  This year, 2014: Small and Simple Things.  This morning I had a bit of a break down because I was feeling defeated by all of the things I wanted to do better in my life that seemed to be impossible to obtain.  As I was discussing (a.k.a bawling and yelling in frustration) with James about my qualms with life, he said one thing that I quickly disregarded, but after pondering a bit, really resonated with me.  He said, "Tara, I think we just bit off more than we could chew and so it's overwhelming.  We need to set smaller goals."  Sounds basic doesn't it? I'm pretty sure that's 101 in goal setting, but the way my mind works,  if I don't see immediate, life-changing, instant results than I won't do anything.  For example, if it's not possible for my entire house to be organized and perfectly clean in one day, I won't even take out the trash.  Ok, that's an exaggeration, but seriously that's basically how I think.  Therefore my goal is to focus on small and simple things. Starting with the 1 minute rule. I wish I could take credit for it, but I read it in a book once upon a time, though the book evades my memory at this moment.

ONE MINUTE RULE:
If something can be done in one minute or less- do it!

Today it was taking out the trash :) so even though my bathroom looked like this: 




My trash can looks like this:





(later I picked up the bathroom, I mean really? It only took maybe 5 minutes, but this morning it seemed overwhelming)
Happy New Year everybody. 
How goes your New Year resolutions?

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! I think it's from The Happiness Project (yay for book club :) )

    ReplyDelete